This course is designed to give participants the tools, knowledge and skills necessary to perform EFFECTIVE audits of Safety Management Systems.
- Describe the purpose of a occupational health and safety management system (OHSMS) and the OHSMS standards.
- Explain the business benefits of improving the OHSMS.
- Explain the purpose, content and interrelationship of ISO 45001 and ISO 19011.
- Interpret requirements of ISO 45001 in the context of an audit.
- Understand the different types of audits.
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of auditors and lead auditors.
- Plan and conduct an audit in accordance with ISO 19011, demonstrating ability to:
- a) plan and prepare effectively
- b) gather objective evidence, through effective interviewing, observation, sampling and note taking.
- c) analyse and interpret information to determine conformance with requirements.
- Report the audit, including writing valid, factual and value-adding non-conformity reports.
- Undertake audit follow-up activities, including evaluating the effectiveness of corrective action.
- Manage an audit programme.
- Professionally liaise with external auditors.
During the 5 days participants will acquire knowledge and skills in auditing. However, auditing like any other acquired skill requires practice. The best place to practice and extend your experience is during actual audits.